Monday, October 13, 2008

Can Fascism Be Far Behind?







I've been listening on cd to Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism, a fascinating book that roots modern American liberalism/progressivism not in Jeffersonian classical liberalism but in Italian fascism, German Nazism, and Marxism/Leninism, progressive movements all. In each of these movements, suppression of dissent was paramount, even under the (very progressive) Wilson administration! Compare this tendency of progressive movements to some reports on the Drudge Report today: here, here, and here.


This is a disconcerting trend. I've thought for years that here in America my grandchildren would have to face persecution for Christian/conservative/traditional beliefs; now, I'm wondering if my CHILDREN will face this. In some ways, maybe I will face this persecution. Once these hounds of intolerance have been released, who will reign them in?


As Michael Barone predicts, we may be seeing the beginning of a liberal "thugocracy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all started with George Washington putting down the Whiskey Rebellion using unnecessary force. It's all downhill from there.

Unknown said...

I'm actually reading this book now. It is indeed fascinating.

Stevo