Wednesday, May 21, 2008

UPDATE: "Prince Caspian" Shocker!


Could it be? Some are suggesting that the movie, "Prince Caspian," is actually BETTER than the book! GASP!


Fredrica Mathews Green writes an interesting piece in NRO. Her discussion ranges wide, touching other movies that were better than the books that inspired them. [BTW, she includes in that list _Lord of The Rings_, which will infuriate some philo-Tolkien-ists, but...I actually agree.]


Having reread the book so close to seeing the movie, I can see why she says Prince Caspian the movie is better than Prince Caspian the book. After finishing PC, I told my wife, "This is not the best of the Chronicles of Narnia." Green makes some of the same points I was thinking about. There actually isn't a whole lot of action in the book (one battle scene), whereas the movie has three major battles. It seems most of the book is taken up with the Pevensie children traveling to get to Prince Caspian, whereas the movie covers that journey pretty quickly.


John Mark Reynolds writes a positive review as well. He doesn't discuss how the movie trumps the film as much as Green does; rather, his is a reflection on how good the film was. I agree. My kids loved it, and I want to go see it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haven't seen Prince Caspian yet but definitely looking forward to it... i'll have to look over the book one more time just to remind myself how the original story goes

Anonymous said...

I dunno about the movie being better than the book or vice versa, but I did like Caspian as a movie better than Wardrobe as a movie. I felt like the execution of Aslan's resurrection in Wardrobe was... lacking.

Good to see you in the blogosphere.