Friday, September 14, 2007

Why Do I Like "The Sand Pebbles?"


Last week, I finally spent my birthday money from my parents. I'll write later about what else I ordered, but one of my purchases was the newly re-released movie, "The Sand Pebbles," starring Steve McQueen. I actually tried to buy it last spring but couldn't find it. I'm glad I couldn't, because this re-issue includes two discs, a picture booklet and some still photos. Cool!

I remember watching this movie as a kid with my dad. I will simply never forget the final scene - "Jake Holman" stares down death. The last 20 minutes or so of this movie are simply amazing. This week, as I've watched and re-watched the last 1/2 hour, I've asked myself why? Why do I break out in chills everytime I watch it? Why do I hold my breath, even though I know what is going to happen? There's a beauty, almost like a ballet, in the final scenes. The stakes are high, but the acting, the plot, and the screenplay all coalesce into a masterpiece.

Three of my favorite themes are intertwined in these final moments: romantic love, religious commitment, and military bravery. The end of the movie showcases self-sacrifice, fear, love, bravery, faith, death, safety, defiance, forgiveness, stubbornness, idealism, realism, hope, and disappointment. I almost feel like I'm watching an old Greek tragedy, with characters coming on at various times to play their parts, but all for the singular purpose of achieving a great dramatic experience. Few movies I see nowadays can capture so much in such a short period of time. If you haven't seen "The Sand Pebbles," do so.

No comments: