Friday, August 17, 2007

Can Christians Call God "Allah?"


Recently, a Catholic bishop in the Netherlands suggested that Christians call God "Allah" in order to increase understanding with Muslims. For the article at Fox News, read here.
What is at stake here? Is the term "allah" interchangeable with the word "god?" I think there is a variety of factors to consider. Some are linguistic, some are cultural, some are theological, some are missiological.
In terms of Semitic languages, "allah" is cognate with the Hebrew words "el" (= "god") and "eloah" (= "god"). It is not cognate with the Hebrew personal name for God, "Yahweh," nor is it, of course, cognate with the English word "god."
Culturally, the term "allah" is, in my opinion, very close to a technical term, or proper name, for "the god of Islam," similar to "Yahweh" for ancient Hebrews. However, early Christians used the term "theos" for the Hebrew "elohim," even though "theos" carried many non-Jewish and non-Christian theological elements.
Theologically, I think it is inaccurate to say the Muslim concept of God is equivalent to the Christian concept of God; therefore, for Christians to begin calling God "allah" would be misleading and would actually confuse the important differences between the two faiths. Muslim reaction to the suggestion here in the US appears to be positive. I suppose Christians and Jews living in Islamic countries would welcome the idea that Muslims begin to call God "El," or "God." It would help legitimize their own concepts of God as a minority group. I suspect this is why Islamic response is positive.
Missiologically, I've heard that some converts to Christianity in Muslim countries use the term "allah" for their deity, the God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. I wonder if Muslim clerics in those countries are happy with that? Since I am not a missiologist, I am unfamiliar with the literature and the debates, but I suspect there is room for this kind of linguistic/theological substitution, if done carefully. But here in the "West," it seems to me that the suggestion concedes too much.
What say my readers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Crutchfield,

This subject for many is a touchy one. In my experience I think that if a Muslim converts to Christianity in a cross cultural setting, then Allah is an acceptable term to use for God the Father of Jesus Christ. I have meet many MBB's and they still use Allah for God and have a true relationship with Jesus Christ. I think the bigger issue is not what word they use, but what they consider Mohammad to be. You see, I have heard of believers who still consider Mohammad a prophet and at the same time follow Jesus. In those cases I would question whether or not they are a true believer?? But back to the use of Allah. My friends in North Africa pray to the Lord Jesus Christ using Allah. Plus i have heard that the origins of the word "God" as we use it in our English language today originated from a pagan usage in Germanic. So as long as the believer has a true relationship with Jesus Christ and has cast off his belief in Mohammad and the Quran then I feel the use of Allah is okay. Humduallh! Praise God!

Crutch said...

Thank you, "anonymous," for your comment! I think you are probably right about converts from Islam to Christianity, for whom Arabic is their primary language. What the bishop in the Netherlands is suggesting, though, is that ALL Christians begin to use "allah" for God. For me, that is much more difficult to accept.

Anonymous said...

Dr. C, I understand the linguistic argument that is being presented. My hesitancy on calling God 'Allah' is its historical use. The word is primarily an Islamic use of God, which denies the trinitarian aspect of God. Therefore, 'Allah;, in my opinion is only an idol, just like 'Zues' is only an idol. The very fact that Jesus Christ is not their God tells me that 'Allah' is not the same God Christians worship. Linguistics aside, 'Allah' means a monotheistic and cruel God to almost everyone who uses it. It is still very difficult to use this term, even if it is in the Middle East.