Friday, December 14, 2007

Why So Much Religion?

Well, here's my theory on why there is so much "religion" in the Republican party primaries: No one has inspired us enough to get us excited about the big issues. We aren't happy with anyone, so we have started looking for things that make us feel "comfortable." I don't want a Christian in the White House at all costs; I want a Christian person (male or female) who is skilled at running the country according to conservative principles. Because we can't rally around someone who we know will do the latter, we are instead looking for the former only. Actually, I would accept someone Catholic, Jewish, Christian-general, Buddhist, etc. if I knew that person would run the country with sound Republican ideals. All this talk of "religion" is a distraction, and the Dems are happy about it. They would love it if we descended into a theological debate.

Just for the record: I still don't think Mike Huckabee will be a factor. If the GOP nominated a theologically conservative former Southern Baptist pastor as the general election nominee, it will be SUICIDE. It is a two man race: Guliani/Romney.

No comments: