Thursday, June 11, 2009

Proverbs 4:19 on Display


This from FOXNews today. I don't say this at all to pronounce judgment on Mr. LeBeouf. I want to draw attention to his own admission of moral confusion, his sense of blindness. This makes me sad for him. [I added the bold italics.]


....LeBeouf, 23, admitted that he is indeed battling a few demons, adding that all actors are.
“They’re all in pain. It’s a profession of bottom-feeders and heartbroken people,” he said. “Most actors on most days don’t think they’re worthy,” he added. “I have no idea where this insecurity comes from, but it’s a God-sized hole. If I knew it, I’d fill it and I’d be on my way.”
The "Transformers" star, who was arrested on a DUI in July of 2008, also admitted to being an alcoholic.
“Why am I an alcoholic? I haven’t a [expletive] clue.”


"Wicked" in Proverbs 4:19 is perhaps too strong a word for us. I'm not trying to call Mr. LeBeouf wicked. What I'm trying to illustrate is that those who do not walk in the "fear of the Lord" (properly defined) often suffer from a kind of moral blindness, an inability to properly perceive their own lives. That's all I'm trying to say. Perhaps someone like him is not far from the Kingdom of God....

2 comments:

S. Harlan Cone said...

This is exactly why Kate and I want to be involved in Hollywood. Why it is often seen as a place to avoid, and not a place we should be going is, frankly, beyond us. Thank you for posting this.

Mark Mahaffey said...

Nice, reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHS8adO3hM